Assignment 1-Ethics Research Paper
This assignment relates to the following Course Learning Requirements:
CLR 3: Discuss what it means to conduct business ethically and responsibly. Identify programs to aid a small Canadian business achieve its responsibilities to the various stakeholders.
CLR 2: Explain how events external to a business can influence business decisions, and how environmental changes affect consumers. Identify challenges and opportunities that environmental changes provide for Canadian businesses
Objective of this Assignment:
The assignment tests your ability to apply ethics and social responsibility of the business.
1. Read the content of Module 1 to 5 to prepare for this Assignment.
· Use the following website to select a business scandal that has occurred since 2000.
Paragraph 1: Background
· Write a very brief history of the company – no more than 200 words in length (marks will be deducted if longer).
Paragraph 2: The Scandal/wrongdoing
· In your words describe in this paragraph – no more than 600 words what was the scandal, any accounting falsification, and the specifics of the scandal.
· You are required to use the accounting and business terminology covered in this course when describing the scandal.
Paragraph 3: The Auditors (No more than 300 words)
· Identify who the company’s external public auditors were.
· Explain why the auditors did not find the falsifications and properly notify the public accordingly
Paragraph 4: Legal Actions Taken (No more than 400 words)
· Describe what if any legal actions were taken against management and/or the public auditors – ensure to include all fines and jail time.
· If no legal action taken, then to earn marks here – discuss in your opinion if justice was served or not.
Paragraph 5. Sarbanes-Oxley Act, 2002 (no more than 700 words)
· Research both your textbook and the web to learn what the Sarbanes-Oxley Act (SOX) is and provide details of some of the critical areas contained in that Act. Specifically, answer the following:
· 1. What is the main purpose of having such an Act?
· 2. Cite and explain four different sections of the act that would specifically prevent a future scandal such as the one you are addressing from ever happening again.
· 3. Do Canadian Public companies have to follow SOX? Why or why not?
· All references, including the Wikipedia, textbook, and/or the Sarbanes-Oxley ACT you use to find the information on your scandal, must be provided on a references page and written in APA style. In-text citations must also be provided using APA throughout your document any time you provide data or analysis from external sources. Any assignment that does not include references and in-text citations will be subject to academic sanction as per Algonquin’s policy